Friday, November 18, 2011

Rife Rist

I'm subscribed to the design/lifestyle/randomfemininewhimsy blog 'Making it Lovely'. Yes, it's pink and girly and I don't much care for the posts about doll houses, but I'm comfy enough in my manhood to ignore the fey bits and appreciate the cool things such as the author's once-a-month progressive photos of her now 9-months old son in the same get-up and chair.

A recent post mentions a less gloomy take on the Bucket List called a Life List or in 'Making it Lovely' parlance A Lovely Life List. We'll forgo the overwhelming loveliness of it all and go with Life List or Rife Rist in Engrish.  Unlike a Bucket List, it's less fatalistic, more fun, and more of a reminder of things that would be cool to keep one eye on and get around to doing as time and mood permit than an unneeded reminder that we're going to kick the bucket one day. I thought it would be fun to start by sharing my Rife Rist, adding more in later posts. Would love to see your Rist in the comments (yes, you, the only person who reads this).

Here's mine for a start:

Live in Europe for a few years (top choices are Denmark, Germany, and France but open to suggestions)
Climb Mt. Fuji again
Spend more than a day in Paris (ten years ago I spent a day in the city in between trains)
Drink an amazing year of Cheval Blanc (contrary to its name, it's a red wine)
Fly in a hot air balloon
Have a part in a movie
Date a redhead
Grow a garden
Have dinner at French Laundry
Throw a full-on wine dinner party for close friends
Write a novel
Write a non-fiction book about multi-ethnic society
Make and drink maccha green tea every day
Have big muscles (let me be honest... have muscles)
Learn French
Have a few nice pieces of clothes and keep them for a long time
Learn to tango
Only eat what I cooked myself for a month
Own a dog (or a cool cat but not a bitchy? one that doesn't know its place)
Do a ramen tour of Japan
Learn to play the piano or guitar
Run a bar (called Bar Poon with my buddy Taka)

I think this is good for now.

No comments: