Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sensitivity

Like anyone I'm touchy about certain things and not so much about others. I tend to be easy to annoy and take snark at face value, and thus tend to be the easy target of those who enjoy annoying little jokes at others' expense. I know those people don't mean any real harm and are simply enjoying the same thing a dog does when she demands that you play fetch with her but brings the ball back all the way to just out of your reach. Yes, I'm talking about you Chew-chan, Doggie-God rest your soul. What's extra annoying about those people and canines is that the joke is often on them. That they don't realize this or refuse to care just serves to annoy even more.

And I'm also sensitive to more weighty things such as willful stupidity, racism, and people who don't read (sorry for repeating myself). But two things I'm not overly sensitive to that many people seem to get worked up about are privacy and spoilers. First, privacy. To be more accurate, I'm not that sensitive about privacy for privacy's sake. I don't care that Apple might know what music or podcasts I enjoy and if knowing helps them to provide more, better music cheaper then I'm all good with that. I understand that privacy violations can lead to financial, medical, and employment discrimination, and those things need to be curbed but I'm always baffled when 'netizens' get upset because Facebook knows you had rhubarb pie for dessert last night. Now if Zuckerberg uses that knowledge to poison all the Sara Lee pies in the frozen food section of your local grocery store then... Don't get me wrong, I don't like people staring at my junk while I shower, even though I once disclosed the size of my member on a podcast I previously hosted that shall go unnamed. Maybe this privacy thing is growing on me.

Spoilers. If the movie or TV show or book is so crappy that being told the end takes away all artistic or entertainment value it had then you need to find something better to watch or read. Yes, it's not nice to reveal that it was Mrs. Peacock, not Professor Plum, who killed Colonel Mustard in the Conservatory with the Candlestick, but do people have to freak out when you simply say "there's a twist at the end"? This is often followed by "shut up", with me responding "I'm just saying it's not who you think it is, that's all." Finished with "la la la la." Grow up, you only focused on the destination, unable to enjoy the journey imbecile. Yes, dammit, I'm sensitive about people who are sensitive about spoilers. Humpf. What about it?


1 comment:

Scarborough Dude said...

Glad to have you back Terrence, even if it's not on a podcast! Keep em comin!